Thursday, July 2, 2009

Time for Change Part 2

It is difficult for men to at times realize that women are not simply the sole extension of a man. That they have their own aspirations and dreams that are unique to their experience that she desires to be great in her own right and does not seek to be overshadowed or relegated to the sidelines as your personal cheerleader. There is more to women and when we confine them to historically sexist roles we eliminate the possibility of seeing them in their light. We distinguish there beauty and we ignore their passion and ultimately we suffer. Why do I speak of such things because I believe as a man my liberation and understanding of oppression can only be fully realized when I recognize my privilege? When the shackles of patriarchy our challenged and resisted in my life then I have eliminated the destructive barriers that keep me from being a true brother to our sisters who seek to engage daily with a hostile world. I hope that brothers will challenge their thinking and confront the overt and subtly ways that society tries to destroy the independent women. The battle continues and we all have a part to play. Liberation will always be the goal. To my brothers and sisters in the midst of the storm I say Let’s Get Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment